Ten Commandments For Animals
- My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that BEFORE you adopt me.
- Give me time to understand what you want from me.
- Place your trust in me, it’s crucial to my well being.
- Don’t be angry at me for long and don’t lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I have only YOU.
- Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don’t understand your words, I understand your voice.
- Be aware that however you treat me, I’ll never forget.
- Please don’t hit me. I can’t hit back, but I can bite and scratch and I really don’t want to do that.
- Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinent or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right food or I have been in the sun too long or my heart is getting old and weak.
- Take care of me when I get old, you too will grow old.
- Go with me on difficult journeys, NEVER say “I can’t bear to watch it” or “let it happen in my absence”. Everything is easier for me if YOU are there.
REMEMBER: “I LOVE YOU!”
(Written by Debbie Wadkins)